We support you in product development right from the start - worldwide.
FRIMO HEAT STAKE RIVETING
Joining plastics and sheet metal
Riveting can be useful in situations where small parts must be joined together to form one large part. Many different riveting methods are used, depending on which materials must be processed. We offer technology-neutral advice and determine the most appropriate product-specific solution for your application. This is also particularly relevant for safety applications in the automotive industry, such as in airbag areas.
The high strength of rivets and gentle processing make this method ideal for surfaces with high quality finishes. Heat stake riveting is a cost-effective alternative to ultrasonic riveting because materials that become brittle during the ultrasonic process can be joined almost free of particles.
HEAT STAKE RIVETING PROCESS
Strong rivets from a gentle process
In heat stake riveting of thermoplastic materials, the plastic is plasticized with the electrically heated riveting punch at the point of contact. It is then formed and pressed together under pressure. Once the power is off, cool air is used to cool the plastic. The punch is heated by a heating cartridge and monitored using a temperature sensor.
HEAT STAKE RIVETING APPLICATIONS
Reliable joining process, especially for airbag areas
- Door panels
- Instrument panels
- Decorative covers
- Center consoles
- Trunk trim panels
FRIMO HEAT STAKE RIVETING ADVANTAGES
- Technology-neutral advice
- Technologically and economically advanced, project and part-specific riveting solutions
- Readily available standard sonotrodes
- Simple and cost-effective method
- Low energy consumption
- Various material connections possible
- Different materials possible, such as fixing metal to plastic
- Suitable for high production volumes
- Quickly available standard rivet unit sizes
- TechCenter with testing systems for process/further development testing and trials.