We support you in product development right from the start - worldwide.
FRIMO IMG TECHNOLOGY
Efficient production of perfectly grained surfaces
The ungrained and warmed foil is suctioned directly during the forming/laminating process into a contoured, grained shell. The grained surface of the shell is then imprinted on the warmed foil (TPO foam/compact sheet). The IMG process combines the economic aspects of classic thermoforming technologies with the quality advantages of modern skin forming processes. It makes it possible to produce surfaces without visible grain stretch and manufacture parts with impressive grain quality.
IN-MOLD GRAINING PROCESS
Perfect grain without compromise
The IMG process transfers the grain structure onto the foil during the thermoforming process. The mold's upper shell, which carries the grain being embossed onto the molded part, has an air-permeable design for thermoforming. Grain-embossed skins produced in this way can be finished by directly laminating the substrate within the same operation or through back foaming, back injection molding, or back pressing.
FRIMO IN-MOLD GRAINING (IMG) ADVANTAGES
- No visible grain stretch
- Various grain areas, technical surfaces, and patterns such as logos can be incorporated
- Decorative embossing (ex. airbag logo, decorative stitching) can be produced during forming process without additional tooling components
- Shorter cycle times and fewer tools compared to pour and spray skins
- Processing of TPO foam/compact sheet
- Small undercuts possible
- Multiple applications and modifications possible for existing machines
- IMG shells made of various materials can be used:
- Epoxy (prototypes)
- Aluminum (prototypes)
- Ceramic (prototypes)