We support you in product development right from the start - worldwide.
SANDWICH WET COMPRESSION MOLDING
Minimized cycle times, maximum performance
FRIMO Wet Compression Molding (WCM) machines are fully automated and capable of producing both monolithic or sandwich-style fiber-reinforced structural automotive components. The WCM process allows the use of fast cure resin systems and therefore offers significant cost and cycle time advantages over RTM processes.
Compared to RTM, the pressures used for forming are much lower, allowing for integration of lightweight sandwich cores (e.g. pre-milled paper honeycomb), complex 3D PU foam cores, or pre-assembled PET foam pieces. FRIMO offers not only tailored tool and pressing technology, but also custom solutions for automated manufacturing of sandwich cores.
WET COMPRESSION MOLDING PROCESS
Fully-automated production for fiber reinforced structural parts
During the first step of the wet compression molding process, a reactive polyurethane or epoxy resin is applied to dry, pre-cut glass, carbon, or aramid fiber material. The impregnated fiber stacks are then automatically inserted into the press. Using pressure and heat, the parts are molded and the matrix materials cure simultaneously.
- Material unrolled, cut
- Sandwich preparation
- Resin applied on stack
- Transfer to WCM tool
- Pressing and curing
- Release and removal
FRIMO WET COMPRESSION MOLDING ADVANTAGES
- Minimized cycle times
- Quick curing
- Optimal mix and metering technology, e.g. glass fiber dosing
- Custom presses and tooling
- Low pressure allows sandwich cores to be integrated
- Custom tooling & equipment for PU foam core
- Welding & assembly systems for 3D PET cut foam
- Sandwich preparation for paper honeycomb including milling
- Fully-automated with robots and gripper technology
- Part trimming and assembly
- Incredibly reliable process because of quality control systems, such as EOL testing